Rust Bullet Garage Project Houston TX

Rust Bullet Garage Project Houston TX

Important Note: This is a project profile that contains information on how this customer did his job and what he would do differently. This is not a suggestion on how you should do your floor. Please see our instructions for that.

Project  Size: 250 sq. ft.

Project Location: Houston, TX

Products used:

– 1/3 gallon metal blast

– 1 2/3 gallons of Rust Bullet

– 1 gallon of Rust bullet clear

– White, grey, black flakes

 

Hurdles

– None to really speak of, I was pretty prepared based on research and grinding the floor didn’t leave for any surprises.

My garage is a single car garage and is about 250 sq. ft. in size. After researching different epoxy coatings I settled on Rust Bullet with its advertisement of being fairly simple to install.  I wanted the grey look personally so the color was a perfect match for what I wanted.  My house was built about 60 years ago.  I do not know if the garage was built at that time or not, however the floor actually looked in good condition.  There weren’t many large cracks or holes.  There were a few.  The floor was rather smooth though from general wear and I wasn’t 100% positive if a previous sealant had been used.

To prep the floor I went ahead and used the metal blast to remove oil spots. The instructions on the metal blast were pretty basic.  They pretty much just said to dump the product on and let it sit for about 20 minutes and then wash it off.  I had about 5 suspected spots I dumped it on and while it was sitting, I went around and grinded the floor.  I figured my floor was too old to just try and acid wash and I didn’t want to risk having the product failed.  Given that my garage is smaller I just used a 4.5″ angle grinder and a diamond cup wheel and grinded the floor down.  As I approached a metal blast spot I just wiped it up a little and then grinded over it.   After I grinded the area it was mostly dry and I didn’t see any oil.

After grinding the floor I used epoxy patch to patch holes and cracks.  I didn’t fill every hole.  If I had to go back I would.  Rust bullet is not thick enough to fill the holes and cracks unless you intentionally cake it on with a brush [which is not a good idea].  After the epoxy dried on the holes I filled I smoothed them with the grinder and then everything was ready to go.

The application process was very simple.  I used a 9″ roller and I did about 1 quart of rust bullet at a time.  The first coating took about 3/4 of a gallon.  The 2nd coat was about 1/3 gallon and the last coat was about 1/2 gallon.  I tried to go extra thick on the last coat.  I spaced the coatings about 12 hrs apart, and in Houston weather that was more than enough.  I don’t believe anymore than 12 hrs is necessary.  The weather ranged from about 50 in the morning to 75 degrees in the evening.  At the end of the 3rd application I walked around with my spiked shoes and threw down my flakes.

One thing that wasn’t clear was what to do with the dirty rollers and brushes.  I tried reusing them once without success.  Rust bullet really starts to clump up and form a skin on it after a few hours.  The easiest solution for me was to just throw away the used ones and use new rollers and pans. It would be useful to include this information or information on how to clean off the rollers.  Water is not effective. [We recommend Rust Bullet Solvent for cleaning and we recommend discarding roller covers after each application.]

I waited 24 hrs before starting the clear coat.  The clear went on about like the rust bullet itself went down.  I did a thinner first coat (less than 1/4 gallon) with no anti skid in it.  That worked well.  The flakes had adhered well enough to base layer and they really didn’t come up at all when I rolled on the clear.  I waited 12 hrs and then I mixed in the anti skid.  Again, I did one quart at a time meaning I poured and mixed 1 quart with anti skid and then rolled it on.  At the end of the 2nd coat I had slightly less than 1/4 gallon left.  I used most of the rest touching up the edges with a brush.  Really 1 gallon and 1 quart would have been the appropriate amount for the clear.

I am really pleased with the end product.  It looks great.  After about 24 hrs I felt like the floor was dry enough to walk on.  It feels like a pretty tough shell.  Like I said, the gaps and cracks are still visible.  The flakes hide a lot so it really wasn’t a big deal.

 

Related Posts

Garage Floor Tiles Wide Angle Shot TrueLock HD
TrueLock HD Ribbed Before and After

Greg B from Massachusetts recently sent us some before and after pictures of his…

Deck tile

Received my order, and can’t say enough good things about my experience!!

To…

Rust Bullet Garage Floor
Rust Bullet Project: Beautiful Cars Beautiful Floor

Truth be told, many of us would be thrilled to death with the cars….

B-411 1/8" Flake
Full Broadcast Rust Bullet Garage Floor Coating Project

David sent us these great images of his full broadcast Rust Bullet garage floor…

The Komposition, LLC Rust Bullet Project

The Komposition, LLC is a Professional Graphic Design & Photography Services located in Billings,…

Rust Bullet Project

Our friend JB sent us a glowing review of his Rust Bullet Garage Floor….

Jerry C Job Photos

If you like cars and garages you will love the photos Jerry just sent…

livechat